Nurses & Care

Bessie was a VAD Nurse in 1915 during World War 1. She served in Erdington Birmingham nursing wounded soldiers returning from France. Note the photo of the rows of wounded in the great Hall of the Birmingham University which was turned into a Military Hospital. Three of her brothers Bert, Howard and Gordon also served…

The Stone House was the village garage owned by Mrs Pym at the time of the First World War. The owners of this garage were a family called Gould, which are relatives of Mrs Michelle Saunders (nee Rees) of this village. In Robert Dunning’s historical book on Pitminster there is a piece relating to the vicarage being use…